Friday, August 13, 2010

Pina Colada Granita


Today a bonus posting to enjoy while I work on the chocolate zucchini bread:

Anytime I crave coconut I think of Jenna. Add pineapple and I'm thinking of hot summer nights in the 80's - arriving home from exercising my horses or a long hot weekend of showing. I'd have Canadian bacon pineapple pizza delivered and make an alcohol-free pina coloda.

Now I think of Jenna and make granita - a cold, crumbly treat that tastes like a tropical vacation. Yesterday's almost 100 degree heat made granita a top priority. Here's the recipe so you have a secret weapon against the next heat wave.

Ingredients

14 oz can of chunk pineapple
14 oz can of light coconut milk
4 oz light agave
2 oz lime juice
2 oz silver rum (Thanks to Michael & Beth I'm a huge fan of Mount Gay rums)


Toss all the ingredients in the food processor or blender and puree until frothy and smooth. The rum is optional - for friends who abstain I leave it out.

Chill the puree over night, covered with cling-wrap. For sorbet freeze through one cycle of the ice cream maker.

If you can control the craving, grab all the ingredients and place them in the fridge overnight. That way the puree can go directly from the food processor into the ice cream maker.

For a true granita: Place the puree in a 9x9 glass or plain metal pan (Do NOT use a nonstick pan! Teflon shaving make a lousy garnish.) Put the pan in the freezer, then every 30 minutes scrape the mixture with a stiff metal spatula. The texture will be closer to shaved ice, not a smooth sorbet. Will still melt beautifully on your tongue during a hot summer night.

No comments:

Post a Comment